If you just switch to Galaxy S7 and are trying to migrate old phone data to Galaxy S7 or S7 edge, this guide will show you the best way to migrate your data.
You probably even do not need to install any apps or tools when you switch to Galaxy S7 and S7 edge.
The tool we are going to use to help you switch to Galaxy S7 is called Smart Switch, free software offered by Samsung.
What is Smart Switch for me to switch to Galaxy S7?
Smart Switch is Samsung’s killer tool for you to migrate old phone data to Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge. It will help you migrate to Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge.
There are 2 different Smart Switch software packages:
- Samsung Smart Switch Mobile App. The Smart Switch mobile app allows you to migrate data from your old device (Android, iOS, BlackBerry) to Galaxy S7 directly (from mobile to mobile).
- Samsung Smart Switch for PC/Mac. The Smart Switch for PC/Mac allows you to backup phone (Galaxy phones only) data to the PC/Mac, and to restore backup data (not limited to Galaxy phones) to Galaxy S7.
When you switch to Galaxy S7, Smart Switch mobile app can migrate old phone data to Galaxy S7 in 2 different ways:
- Wireless transfer through WiFi Direct. If your old phone is 1). an Android phone with Android ICS 4.o or later, or 2). an iPhone with iCloud backup, you can use this method. You need install Smart Switch app on the old Android phone.
- Wired transfer through USB cable. If you old phone is 1). a Galaxy phone with Android Jelly Bean 4.3 or later, or 2). an iPhone with iOS 5 or later, or 3). a BlackBerry with BlackBerry 7 OS or earlier, you can migrate the phone data from old device to Galaxy S7 with the USB connector in your Galaxy S7 box and the USB cable.
Why I cannot install Smart Switch on Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge?
Smart Switch was pre-installed and enabled in Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge already. You don’t need to install Smart Switch on Galaxy S7.
But you cannot find Smart Switch app on Galaxy S7 or Galaxy S7 edge.
Then, how to launch and use Smart Switch on Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge to switch to Galaxy S7?
Samsung puts Smart Switch in Settings— Backup and reset –-Open Smart Switch as shown below. This makes it very convenience for anyone to switch to Galaxy S7.
How to use wired transfer to migrate old phone data to Galaxy S7 to switch to Galaxy S7?
As mentioned, you can switch to Galaxy S7 using USB wired transfer to migrate old phone data to S7, if your old phone is:
- Galaxy phone with Android Jelly Bean 4.3 or later;
- iPhone with iOS 5 or later;
- BlackBerry with BlackBerry 7 or earlier.
Please note, when using this method to migrate old phone data to Galaxy S7, it is not necessary to install any apps in your old device.
To migrate old phone data to Galaxy S7 with wired transfer, you can follow these steps to switch to Galaxy S7.
Step 1: Make sure Galaxy S7 has at least 50% battery.
When using wired transfer, you cannot charge Galaxy S7 through USB port.
Of course, it is better to make sure Galaxy S7 battery is at least 50%.
Step 2: Open Smart Switch on Galaxy S7
As mentioned, Smart Switch was pre-installed on Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7.
You need go to Settings— Backup and reset –– Open Smart Switch to start Smart Switch on Galaxy S7.
After tapping Open Smart Switch, you will see the screen below.
Tap Start to proceed.
You will now be directed to Samsung Smart Switch end user license agreement (EULA) page.
You must tap Agree as shown below to proceed.
Step 3: Select device type for the old device
Now, you need specify the device type of your old phone.
To switch to Galaxy S7, your old phone must be either iPhone, or Android phone or BlackBerry phone.
In this example, you switch to Galaxy S7 edge from Galaxy Note 5. So, you want to migrate Galaxy Note 5 data to Galaxy S7.
Tap Android device, then tap Start as shown below.
Now, the supported OSes in old devices are listed if you want to proceed to use wired transfer to migrate phone data to Galaxy S7.
Step 4: Connect old phone to Galaxy S7
You can now connect old device to Galaxy S7 as shown below.
- Connect the USB connector in your Galaxy S7 box to the micro USB port in Galaxy S7 (see Galaxy S7 and S7 edge layout page for all ports). The USB connector actually is a USB OTG adapter. You can use it to connect other accessories and portable storage.
- Connect the USB end (bigger end) of the USB cable to the USB connector.
- Connect the micro USB end of the USB cable to your old device. You need set USB option in the old device as MTP mode. For iPhone, you need use iPhone to USB cable.
Step 5: Choose data to be migrated from old device to Galaxy S7
Now, Galaxy Note 5 is automatically detected. You will see the info like this:
Searching Galaxy Note 5 ( or your phone model) for contents for transfer…
Please be patient. The status bar will show you the percentage scanned. But this is not always proportional to actual time.
It may take a few minutes for your Galaxy S7 to scan all transferable contents to Galaxy S7.
Once the scan is finished, phone data that can be migrated to Galaxy S7 will be listed in the screen as shown below.
You can select/deselect items for data migration. The default should be good for most owners.
In the top of the screen, estimated transfer time, total storage size required in Galaxy S7 and available storage in S7 will be shown for your reference.
Please note, Galaxy S7 can NOT use micro SD as internal storage even it is running Marshmallow. So, the estimated available space can be misleading if you have a micro SD card inside Galaxy S7.
All data will be transferred to Galaxy S7’s internal storage!!!!
If nothing shows on Galaxy S7 after connecting the old phone to S7 properly, you may check notifications in the old phone.
You need make sure the old phone is connected as a media device (MTP) as shown below.
For phones with Android Marshmallow, the default USB option could be charging only and you must set it to MTP.
Step 6: Migrate phone data and apps to Galaxy S7
Now, it is time to relax.
Phone data and apps will be migrated to Galaxy S7 automatically as shown below.
The first step is to transfer data from old device as shown below.
Then, data and apps are restored in Galaxy S7.
If everything goes smoothly, you will see the following screen indicating phone data are migrated to Galaxy S7.
If certain apps are needed, it will also remind you to install them as shown below.
As there are some S Notes were transferred to Galaxy S7, after finishing the migration, Smart Switch reminds you to install S Note app.
Please note, pre-installed apps in the old phone will NOT be transferred. Only apps installed by you will be transferred to Galaxy S7.
To exit the data migration, tap Close app as shown below.
Step 7: Disconnect Galaxy S7 from old device
Now disconnect USB cable and USB connector from both old phone and Galaxy S7.
Step 8: Enjoy Galaxy S7.
You can check data and apps transferred on Galaxy S7.
How to use wireless transfer to migrate old phone data to Galaxy S7 to switch to Galaxy S7?
To switch to Galaxy S7, you can also use wireless transfer to migrate old phone data to Galaxy S7 if your old phone is:
- any Android phones (not limited to Samsung Galaxy phones) with Android ICS 4.0 or later
- iPhone with iOS 5 or later (with iCloud backup).
- BlackBerry with BB OS 7 or BB OS 10.
You need install Smart Switch mobile app on the old phone.
A detailed guide on how to migrate old phone data to new Galaxy device through WiFi Direct transfer can be found here. It applies to Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge as well, although it was created for Galaxy S6.
How to migrate old phone date to Galaxy S7 through Smart Switch for PC to switch to Galaxy S7?
You can backup your old phone data to PC/Mac. Then restore the backup to Galaxy S7 to switch to Galaxy S7.
A guide on using Smart Switch for PC/Mac to migrate phone data to new Galaxy devices can be found here (it applies to switching to Galaxy S7 as well).
Can you use Samsung Smart Switch to switch to Galaxy S7? Do you have any questions on migrating old phone data to Galaxy S7 using Smart Switch?
If you have any questions or encounter any problems to switch to Galaxy S7 or Galaxy S7 edge, or if you get any problems when migrating phone data to Galaxy S7 (or S7 edge), please let us know your questions or problems in the comment box below.
The community will try to help you.
For other guides on using Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge, please check Galaxy S7 online manual page.
For detailed Galaxy S7 how-to guides, please check Galaxy S7 how-to guides page.