What is Galaxy S7 lock screen?
Galaxy S7 lock screen is the door between the phone and outside world.
To avoid unauthorized access to your private data saved on Samsung Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge, you should consider to lock the door (set lock screen security).
Essentially, Galaxy S7 lock screen is a security feature that:
- blocks unauthorized access to the phone.
- avoids inadvertent tapping the phone.
As shown below, in Galaxy S7 lock screen, by default, there are at least 5 components:
- Notifications. You can choose whether notifications are shown on the lock screen, and how they are shown. Please read on for how to customize notifications in Galaxy S7 lock screen.
- App shortcut in bottom left. The app shortcut can be customized: you can turn it off or choose your own apps instead of the default phone app. Please read on for how to customize app shortcuts in Galaxy S7 lock screen.
- App shortcut in bottom right. You can also fully customize this app shortcut.
- Help message telling you how to unlock the lock screen. If you swipe in any direction, you can then unlock Galaxy S7 or Galaxy S7 edge (if lock screen security is set as swipe) or enter password/PIN/pattern depending on your lock screen security settings (read on).
How to lock and unlock Galaxy S7 lock screen
You can lock the screen in different ways:
- When screen is on, press power button once. This will turn off the Galaxy S7 screen and lock it.
- When screen is off (for example, display timeouts because of inactivity), screen will be locked automatically.
To unlock Galaxy S7 lock screen, you need:
- Turn on the Galaxy S7 screen. You can press Power button or Home button to turn on Galaxy S7 screen.
- Swipe your finger across the Galaxy S7 lock screen to unlock it.
- If you have set up a Galaxy S7 screen lock, you will be prompted to draw the pattern, enter the password or PIN, or scan your fingerprint
Some apps can also turn on the screen.
You can also use smart lock to keep phone unlocked when Galaxy S7 or S7 edge is connected to certain accessories, or in certain locations.
How to set Galaxy S7 lock screen security?
By default, you can unlock Galaxy S7 lock screen by swiping. This means anyone can unlock your Galaxy S7 or Galaxy S7 edge.
You may consider to tighten the security so that only you can unlock and access your phone by changing Galaxy S7 lock screen security.
To set Galaxy S7 lock screen security, go to Galaxy S7 Settings, then tap lock screen and security.
In the lock screen and security page, tap screen lock type as shown below.
Now, you are given the options to choose Galaxy S7 lock screen lock type as shown below:
- Swipe (no security). You can swipe in any direction on the lock screen to unlock it. This is only to avoid inadvertent tapping.
- Pattern (medium security). You can draw a pattern with four or more dots to unlock the screen.
- PIN (medium to high security). You need enter a PIN with at least four numbers to unlock the Galaxy S7 lock screen.
- Password (high security). You need enter a password with at least four (in total) characters, numbers, or symbols to unlock the screen.
- None. You should never use this option unless you know why you need this option.
- Fingerprints. In Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7, fingerprint is NOT a standalone screen lock type. You must set lock screen type to pattern, PIN or password, then set fingerprint as a backup option. This is different from previous generation Galaxy phones.
Anyway, only after you set a pattern, PIN, password, or fingerprint for Galaxy S7 lock screen lock method, you can protect your personal information by preventing others from accessing your Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge.
But please note, Galaxy S7 lock screen is for all users, including you. It is your responsibility to remember the correct pattern, PIN or password.
If you forget your lock screen PIN/password/pattern, and your fingerprint is not recognized, you can only use Samsung’s find my mobile service to unlock Galaxy S7/S7 edge.
How to customize app shortcuts in Galaxy S7 lock screen?
By default, there are 2 app shortcuts in Galaxy S7 lock screen: phone and camera.
In Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge, you can use other app shortcuts to replace the default ones. You can also turn them off
To customize app shortcuts in Galaxy S7 lock screen, you can go to Settings— Lock screen and security as shown above.
Tap Info and app shortcuts.
The tap App shortcuts as shown below.
A preview of the Galaxy S7 lock screen will be shown as shown below. Current app shortcuts in both left and tight are shown.
Tap Left shortcut as shown below.
Now, you can select the app shortcut for the left side.
You can also turn off the left app shortcut by tapping the switch near top right as shown below.
If the switch is blue, it means the app shortcut is active. If it is grey, it means there will be no app shortcut in bottom left of Galaxy S7 lock screen.
After selecting the app shortcut for the left side, you can check it in the lock screen as shown below.
Similarly, you can customize the right shortcut for Galaxy S7 lock screen.
Please note, except camera and emergency calls (phone app), you still need unlock the lock screen to use the app.
How to configure notifications on Galaxy S7 lock screen?
In addition to app shortcuts, you can also customize the notifications on Galaxy S7 lock screen.
Depending on your concern on the sensitivity of notifications, you can choose:
- not to show notifications on lock screen.
- to show notifications without contents (details).
- to show notifications with contents (details). This is the default setting.
To configure notifications on Galaxy S7 lock screen, you can go to Settings—Lock screen and security – Notifications on lock screen.
In Notifications on lock screen page as shown below, you can find the 3 options on top of the screen as shown below.
This is the “global” settings for notifications on Galaxy S7 lock screen.
Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge also allow you to further turn on/off notifications from individual apps on lock screen, if the global switch is on (show content, or hide content).
In the second part of notifications on lock screen page as shown below, you can find some apps are turned off, some apps are on.
By default, if you turned off notification for the app globally, of course, the app should be shown as turned off for lock screen as well.
But for apps that notification is not blocked, you can turn off notifications in the lock screen.
This can be a bit confusing.
For an app whose notification is blocked, you will not get notifications any way. So, for such an app, the notification settings on lock screen do not have any impact.
But for apps whose notification is NOT blocked, then you have the option to hide contents, show contents or not to show notifications on the lock screen for notifications from such apps.
These can be illustrated in Galaxy S7 notifications settings.
You can go to Galaxy S7 Settings, then tap Notifications as shown below to customize notifications on Galaxy S7 or Galaxy S7 edge.
The notifications page shows whether notification of an app is blocked or not. This is the global setting for app notifications for individual apps. You can turn on/off notifications for individual apps here.
Tap Advanced as shown below.
In the Advanced notifications setting page shown below, for apps whose notification is NOT blocked, you can further customize their notifications.
For example, Google Fit notifications are not blocked. Tap it as shown below.
Now, in Google Fit App notifications page, you can now have full control of the notifications of this app.
You will find there are only two options related to lock screen:
- Hide on lock screen. This equals not to show notifications from this app on Galaxy S7 lock screen.
- Hide content on lock screen. This equals to show notifications without details (contents).
These two options are sufficient, because the default is to show notifications with contents.
How to customize the look of Galaxy S7 lock screen?
You can customize the look of Galaxy S7 lock screen at two levels:
- change wallpapers for Galaxy S7 or Galaxy S7 edge. You can set a different wallpaper for lock screen from that for home screen. Please refer to this guide on set Galaxy S7 wallpapers.
- apply a new Galaxy S7 theme. You can use many different themes for Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge. Please refer to this guide on using Galaxy S7 themes.
Do you know how to use Galaxy S7 lock screen on Samsung Galaxy S7 or Galaxy S7 edge? Do you know how to set up lock screen security for Galaxy S7 lock screen? Can you customize notifications and look of Galaxy S7 lock screen?
If you have any questions or get any problems on Galaxy S7 lock screen, please let us know them in the comment box below.
The community will try to help you.
For other guides on using Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge, please check Galaxy S7 online manual page.
For detailed Galaxy S7 how-to guides, please check Galaxy S7 how-to guides page.