This Galaxy S8 SIM card guide shows you what the correct SIM card size is for Galaxy S8 and S8+, how to insert and change Galaxy S8 SIM card, and how to use two SIM cards in Galaxy S8 dual SIM versions.
What is the correct Galaxy S8 SIM card size for S8 and S8+?
To make phone calls or to use mobile data with Samsung Galaxy S8 or S8+, you need a SIM (subscriber identity module) card, which is issued by your carrier to identify each customer.
Over the years, different sizes of SIM card have been used for mobile phones. You may wonder the correct SIM card size for Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+.
Technically, there are 4 different sizes of SIM card for mobile phones:
- Full-size SIM. Full-size SIM is often referred as 1FF (1st form factor). It is “giant” in size: 85.60 mm × 53.98 mm × 0.76 mm. Anyway, you probably cannot find one in the market and none of the Android phones used it.
- Mini-SIM (2FF). Mini-SIM usually is referred as “big” or “normal” or “standard” SIM card in some countries. Most carriers and phone manufactures phased out mini-SIM a few years ago. .
- Micro-SIM (3FF). Micro SIM is still the most popular size of SIM card for smartphones. Most middle range and budget smartphones are using micro SIM card. In some regions, micro-SIM is referred as “small” SIM card.
- Nano-SIM (4FF). Nano-SIM is the smallest SIM card available for smartphone today. Most flagship smartphones requires nano-SIM
Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ use nano SIM card.
The good news is most carriers offer 3-in-1 SIM card, which can be used as mini-SIM, micro SIM and nano SIM. For such SIM cards, you can detach/break the smallest part for Galaxy S8 and S8+. Don’t through away the other parts, which can be used as an adapter if you want to use the SIM card on other devices supporting micro SIM or mini SIM.
If you just upgraded to Galaxy S8 or S8+ from your old phone. Your old phone may be using nano SIM card already and you can continue to use the old SIM card in Galaxy S8 or S8+.
For example, some popular phones using nano SIM card include: Galaxy S7, Galaxy S7 edge, Galaxy Note 7, Galaxy S6, Galaxy S6 edge, Galaxy S6 edge+, Galaxy Note 5, iPhone 7, iPhone 7+, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S+, iPhone 6, iPhone 6+, iPhone 5, Moto X (including all generations) and many more. If you have any of these phones, the SIM card is interchangeable with Galaxy S8 or S8+.
If your old phone is using a micro SIM or mini-SIM, you can check whether it is a 3-in-1 SIM card (check whether some parts are detachable).
You should always get official nano SIM card from your carrier if you need a nano SIM card for Galaxy S8 or S8+.
Do NOT try to trim the SIM card by yourself, although it is possible to trim a micro SIM card or a mini SIM card into a nano SIM.
What is the slot 2 in Galaxy S8 SIM card tray for?
As shown below, Galaxy S8 SIM card tray have two slots in all regions.
Slot 1 in Galaxy S8 SIM card tray is always for a SIM card. You can only put a nano SIM card into it with metal part facing downwards and matching the shape of the slot.
However, slot 2, which is bigger than slot 1, may be used differently depending on your region and Galaxy S8 (or S8+) model.
In all regions and all Galaxy S8 and S8+ phones, slot 2 can be used for a micro SD card.
Only for dual SIM versions of Galaxy S8 and S8+ (availability depends on your regions and carrier), slot 2 can also be used for the second nano-SIM card.
But if you use slot 2 for the second SIM card, you cannot use it for micro SD card. You can only choose one: either micro SD card or SIM card (NOT both), for slot 2 in dual SIM versions Galaxy S8 and S8+.
How to insert SIM card into Galaxy S8 and S8+?
It is recommended to power off Galaxy S8 or S8+ when inserting, removing or changing SIM card, although it is not required.
To insert SIM card into Galaxy S8 and S8+, you may follow these 5 steps as shown in the picture below.
Step 0: Power off the phone.
Step 1: Insert the ejection pin (included in the Galaxy S8 box) into the hole on the tray and press it all the way down to loosen the tray.
As explained in Galaxy S8 layout and Galaxy S8+ layout, Galaxy S8 SIM card tray is located in the top of the phone.
Step 2: Pull the tray gently from Galaxy S8 or S8+.
Step 3: Put the SIM card on slot 1 with the metal parts facing downwards
You need to make sure the shape of SIM card matches the slot
Step 4: Secure the SIM in the correct place
Step 5: Insert Galaxy S8 SIM card tray back into the phone
Step 5x: Power on the phone.
How to eject or change SIM card for Galaxy S8 and S8+?
You can eject or change SIM card for Galaxy S8 and S8+ as you did for inserting SIM card discussed above.
How to use two SIM cards in dual SIM version of Galaxy S8 and S8+?
For dual SIM version of Galaxy S8 or S8+, you are allowed to use two SIM cards in one Galaxy S8 or S8+.
Please note, there are some limitations when you use two SIM cards in Galaxy S8 and S8+, including:
- It only works on dual SIM versions of Galaxy S8 or S8+.
- You cannot use micro SD card when using 2 SIM cards.
- Technically, the two SIM cards are dual standby only in Galaxy S8 and S8+, not dual active (please refer to this guide on the difference between dual SIM and dual active phones). But in some mobile networks where 2G is phased out, both SIM card can connect to 3G/4G networks and both can work simultaneously just like dual active dual SIM phones. Whether it can work like a dual active phone depends on your carrier’s network.
For dual SIM versions of Galaxy S8 and S8+, you need to manage the two SIM cards in Settings — SIM card manager. You should specify which SIM card is for mobile data (although both can connect to 3G/4G networks).
You can also specify default SIM card for calls and messages. These settings can be overwritten in phone app and messages apps at any time.
I have a single SIM version of Galaxy S8 (or S8+), can I use two SIM cards by changing the SIM card tray?
The SIM card tray for single SIM version and dual SIM version of Galaxy S8 and S8+ is almost identical except slot 2.
But this does NOT mean you can change SIM card tray to convert a single SIM version of Galaxy S8 (or S8+) into a dual SIM version.
The firmware are also different.
So, do not waste time to convert single SIM version of Galaxy S8 or S8+ into dual SIM version in this way.
It will not work.
Can I use Galaxy S8 or S8+ without a SIM card?
Yes, you can use Galaxy S8 or S8+ without a SIM card.
But you will not be able to make/recive calls (except emergency calls in some regions) because you do not have a phone number.
And of course, you cannot use mobile data in Galaxy S8 and S8+ without a SIM card.
Anyway, you can still use Galaxy S8 or S8+ with WiFi just like use a WiFi-only tablet.
Do you have any questions on Galaxy S8 SIM card?
If you have any questions on Galaxy S8 SIM card or encounter any problems with SIM card in Galaxy S8 and S8+, please let us know them in the comment box below.
The community will help you find the answer or solution.
You may also check our Galaxy S8 guides:
- Galaxy S8 new features guide covers all new and unique features of Galaxy S8 and S8+.
- Galaxy S8 how-to guides give you detailed step-by-step guides on using most features of Galaxy S8 and S8+.
- Galaxy S8 user manuals lets you download official Samsung Galaxy S8 user manuals in your won language.
- Galaxy S8 camera guides covered everything related to Galaxy S8 camera is covered in Galaxy S8 camera guides section.
- Galaxy S8 accessories guides help you find the perfect accessories for Galaxy S8 and S8+.
In addition to post your thought or questions in the comment box below, you can also reach us in Facebook page.