You may know you can use power button to power on Galaxy S8 or power off Galaxy S8 and S8+.
But do you know how to power off Galaxy S8 and S8+ if your Galaxy S8 or S8+ hangs and does not respond to power button?
This guide will show you how to power on, power off and reboot Galaxy S8 and S8 at any situations, including when the phone hangs (power button is not responsive).
When Galaxy S8 or S8+ is powered off, you can always press and hold power button for a few seconds to power on (turn on) the phone as shown below.
Please note, Galaxy S8 (and S8+) power button is located in the right side of the phone as explained in Galaxy S8 layout and Galaxy S8+ layout page.
Some owners may press the Bixby button, which is located in the left side of Galaxy S8 and S8+ and below volume buttons, mistakenly for power button.
When the phone is powered on, if you press and hold power button for more than 7 seconds, you will then reboot Galaxy S8 and S8+. This is considered as forced reboot.
If you press and hold the power button for 2-4 seconds, you will get the Galaxy S8 power button options:
- Power off. Tap this button (marked as 1 in the screenshot below) to power off Galaxy S8 and S8+.
- Restart. Tap this button (marked as 2 in the screenshot below) to reboot Galaxy S8 or S8+. This essentially is powering off Galaxy S8, then powering it on.
- Use emergence mode.
Using power button options is the safest way to reboot Galaxy S8 or S8+. The system will try to save all necessary data and close apps gracefully.
Occasionally, Galaxy S8 or S8+ may hang due to software issues.
But you cannot remove Galaxy S8 battery to force it to restart because battery in Galaxy S8 and S8+ is non-removable.
In this case, to use the phone, you have to reboot Galaxy S8 or S8+ by holding power button for 15-20 seconds or even longer.
This is a hardware-level simulated operation of removing and replacing battery (battery pull). Software problems normally cannot stop this from working.
If this still does not work, you can try to press and hold volume down button, volume up button and power button together (3 buttons in total) for about 10-20 seconds. This will force the Galaxy S8 and S8 to power off.
Again, this is a hardware level simulated function. It should always work unless your Samsung Galaxy S8 or S8+ has some severe hardware problems in power-control components.
If Galaxy S8 or S8+ does not respond to volume down + volume up + power buttons, it usually indicates some hardware problems. You should check with local Samsung service center.
Can you power on Samsung Galaxy S8 or S8+? Can you reboot Samsung Galaxy S8 or S8+? Can you force to power off Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+?
If you have any questions or encounter any problems to power on, power off, and reboot Galaxy S8 or S8+ (even if your phone hangs), please let us know them in the comment box below.
The community will help you find the answer or solution.
You may also check our Galaxy S8 guides:
- Galaxy S8 new features guide covers all new and unique features of Galaxy S8 and S8+.
- Galaxy S8 how-to guides give you detailed step-by-step guides on using most features of Galaxy S8 and S8+.
- Galaxy S8 user manuals lets you download official Samsung Galaxy S8 user manuals in your won language.
- Galaxy S8 camera guides covered everything related to Galaxy S8 camera is covered in Galaxy S8 camera guides section.
- Galaxy S8 accessories guides help you find the perfect accessories for Galaxy S8 and S8+.
In addition to post your thought or questions in the comment box below, you can also reach us in Facebook page.
Subscribe to our free Galaxy S8 tips, tricks and guides newsletter to get the most for your Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+!