As one of the official Samsung accessories for Galaxy S8 and S8+, Galaxy S8 LED wallet cover offers moderate protection for your phone and some unique features at the same time.
This Galaxy S8 LED wallet cover guide explains the unique features of the cover, how to use this cover, how to customize LED icons for individual contacts and apps, and the advantages and disadvantages of this cover, to help you decide whether this case (cover) is right for you.
Please note, Galaxy S8 LED wallet cover for S8 and S8+ are different in size. The features of the two covers are identical although in this guide Galaxy S8 is used.
So you need to make sure you get the correct one (for S8 pr for S8+) when you order a Galaxy S8 LED wallet cover.
Unique features of Galaxy S8 LED wallet cover?
Samsung Galaxy S8 LED wallet cover is more than a smartphone cover.
There is an interior pocket that can store cards. On the outside, Galaxy S8 LED wallet cover can show your notifications with special LED icons.
Compared to other Galaxy S8 covers or cases, Galaxy S8 LED wallet cover offers some unique features including:
- Notifying incoming calls, messages, time, battery charging, low battery alert, music playing.
- Storing your cards.
- Answering or rejecting calls by swiping on the cover without opening the cover.
- Turning off alarms with a swipe on the cover without opening the cover.
- Designating special LED icon for individual contacts so that you know who is calling you without opening the cover.
- Designating special LED icon for individual apps so that you can know which app is sending notifications.
- Creating your own LED icons with the LED icon editor.
- Waking up Galaxy S8 screen when you opening the case.
- Turning off the screen and letting the phone sleep when you close the case.
In short, Galaxy S8 LED wallet cover adds a few additional and unique features for Galaxy S8 and S8+.
How to configure and use Galaxy S8 LED wallet cover?
After your attach the Galaxy S8 LED wallet cover to Galaxy S8 or S8+, you can open the cover to wake up the screen.
You can also lift the front cover a bit, then put it down (without opening the cover) to activate the LED icon display in the cover.
Of course, when you close the cover, the screen will be locked and LED icon display will be activated for a few seconds.
Like other official Galaxy S8 covers, you can configure and customize Galaxy S8 LED wallet cover.
As shown in the screenshot below, you can set up Galaxy S8 LED cover in Settings— Advanced features—Accessories.
Under accessories as shown above, you can find LED view cover.
If you cannot find LED view cover, it means:
- The Galaxy S8 LED wallet cover is not added to the phone. The option appears only when your LED cover is attached to Galaxy S8 or S8+; or
- Your Galaxy S8 LED cover is not recognized. You can try to remove it, then attach it again. If the cover is still not recognized, you have to check with the seller.
Please note, Galaxy S8 or S8+ should recognize Galaxy S8 LED wallet cover even if you turn off NFC.
As shown above, for LED cover, there are two setting options:
- Automatic unlock. You can unlock the phone when opening the cover. This works only if your lock screen security is set as none or swipe.
- LED icon editor. You can use LED editor to create your own LED icons, or customize LED icons for individual apps and contacts.
How to customize LED icons for individual contacts with Galaxy S8 LED wallet cover?
When your Galaxy S8 or S8+ is called, the LED cover will display the default LED icon.
You can customize this icon so that each contact can have its own LED icon. In this way, when someone calls you, you can immediately know who is calling you just by looking at the cover.
Normally, you may want to just assign special LED icons for a few contacts. It is painful to remember 100 LED icons!
As shown above, you can tap LED icon editor, then tap LED caller icons (marked as 1 in the screenshot above)
When you use this feature first time, you will be asked to grant the permission for LED icon editor as shown below.
Allow LED icon editor to access you contacts
Tap Allow as shown below to grant the permission.
In the LED caller icons page, you can select a LED icon, for example, you want to choose Smiley icon for a contact.
The number below the icon means the number of contacts are using this icon. 0 means it has not been used for any contacts yet.
Tap Smiley icon (marked as 3 in the screenshot below).
Now, you are in the Smiley page.
As shown above, you can tap Add contact to select a contact for this icon.
Next time, when this contact calls you, you will see this Smiley icon in the Galaxy S8 LED wallet cover, and you will know who is calling without opening the cover.
You can also accept or reject call directly on the cover as mentioned earlier.
How to create your own LED icons for Galaxy S8 LED wallet cover?
By default, in most regions, there are 54 LED icons pre-installed for Galaxy S8 LED wallet cover.
If you want, you can create your own LED icons.
As shown above, in LED caller icons page, instead of selecting any available LED icons, you can tap Create LED icons button (marked as 4 in the screenshot above).
This would open the create LED icon page as shown above for you to create your own LED icons.
You can tap any dots to light it up. You can also use eraser to modify your work.
After giving a name for your new LED icon, you need to tap Save as shown above to save the icon.
Now, the new icon is available for you to use just like pre-installed LED icons.
How to customize LED icons for individual apps with Galaxy S8 LED wallet cover?
In addition to customizing LED icons for individual contacts, you can also customize LED icon for notifications of individual apps with Galaxy S8 LED wallet cover.
To customize LED icon for apps, you can tap LED icon editor, then tap LED notification icons (marked as 2 in the screenshot above).
Then in the LED notification icons page as shown below, you can choose an icon, for example, Woman.
In Woman LED icon page, tap Add application as shown below to select an app and assign this LED icon to this app.
Next time, when you get notifications from this app, the Woman LED icon will be shown in the LED cover.
You can also tap create LED icon button in LED notification icon page to create new LED icons for Galaxy S8 LED wallet cover.
Please note, new LED icons created from LED caller icons and LED notification icons are shared.
Advantages and disadvantages of Galaxy S8 LED wallet cover
Galaxy S8 LED wallet cover can provide moderate protection for impact, drop or scratch.
The advantages of Galaxy S8 LED wallet cover include:
- Official Samsung accessories which fits Galaxy S8 and S8+ perfectly.
- Unique LED icon feature. It can be cool if you like it.
- Interior pocket for commuters.
- High quality and sturdy.
- Work with wireless charging.
- Accept or reject calls, respond to alarms without opening the cover.
- Moderate protection for both phone screen and back panel.
- Separate cutout for fingerprint sensor and camera to help you find the fingerprint sensor easier.
- Matching the color for your Galaxy S8 or S8+.
The main disadvantage of Galaxy S8 LED wallet cover is its price.
It is simply overpriced.
In addition, Galaxy S8 LED wallet cover only offers moderate protection, not rugged, and there is no built-in kickstand as in Galaxy S8 clear view standing cover.
In short, Galaxy S8 LED wallet cover is a decent cover with unique LED icon features for your Galaxy S8 or S8+. But it is overpriced.
Also, if you need a rugged case, this is not for you. You should consider OtterBox.
If you only need a back cover, you may consider Galaxy S8 Alcantara cover.
Does always-on display works on the LED display of Galaxy S8 LED wallet cover?
No, always-on display will be inactive when the cover is closed.
LED display in the Galaxy S8 LED wallet cover can only show LED icons.
But if you keep the cover open, the always-on display will be active.
Do you have any questions on Galaxy S8 LED wallet cover?
If you have any questions Galaxy S8 LED wallet cover for Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+, please let us know them in the comment box below.
The community will help you find the answer or solution.
You may also check our Galaxy S8 guides:
- Galaxy S8 new features guide covers all new and unique features of Galaxy S8 and S8+.
- Galaxy S8 how-to guides give you detailed step-by-step guides on using most features of Galaxy S8 and S8+.
- Galaxy S8 user manuals lets you download official Samsung Galaxy S8 user manuals in your won language.
- Galaxy S8 camera guides covered everything related to Galaxy S8 camera is covered in Galaxy S8 camera guides section.
- Galaxy S8 accessories guides help you find the perfect accessories for Galaxy S8 and S8+.
In addition to post your thought or questions in the comment box below, you can also reach us in Facebook page.
Don’t forget to subscribe to our free newsletter!
Subscribe to our free Galaxy S8 tips, tricks and guides newsletter to get the most for your Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+!