This Galaxy S9 guide explains what you can do (and cannot do) with Galaxy S9 super slow motion mode, how to use the super slow-motion mode, how to edit super slow-motion videos, how to add music to the video, and how to share super slow-motion videos with others as videos or GIF animations.
Samsung ported this camera mode to Galaxy S8 and S8+ in Android Oreo update. You can find the super slow-motion mode (super slow-mo) on Galaxy S8, S8+, S9, S9+, Note 8, Note 9 and s few other Galaxy phones with Android Oreo. So this guide applies to all these phones with the super slow-motion mode, although screenshots in this guide were taken from a Galaxy S9+.
What is Galaxy S9 super slow motion mode (super Slow-mo) on Galaxy S9 and S9+?
The normal slow-motion mode in most smartphones today can record videos at about 60fps (frames per second). Some high-end phones, like Pixel 2, iPhone X may record slow motion at 240fps. Galaxy S9 and S9+ allow you to record a video in 960fps with the super slow-motion mode.
Galaxy S9 and S9+ is not the first smartphone with 960fps slow-motion mode. Sony offered this feature in Xperia XZ Premium in 2017. But the phone did not sell well in most markets.
In Galaxy S9 and S9+, you have the traditional slow-motion mode (60fps), and this special super slow-motion mode (super slow-mo).
Compared to standard slow-motion mode, Galaxy S9 super slow-motion mode has the following limitations:
- The video resolution is limited to 720p (1280*720). The standard slow-motion on Galaxy S9 or S9+ has a resolution of full HD 1080p (1920*1080).
- The length of one super slow-motion event is limited to 0.2 seconds (high quality) or 0.4 seconds (standard quality).
- In the multi-take mode, you can include up to 20 slow-motion events in one video.
- Super slow-motion mode usually requires more light to get a decent video.
- If you want to share the video, you need to export the video first because other phones may have problems to play the video directly.
- The super slow-motion videos are always saved in the internal storage even you use an SD card on the