Samsung Galaxy S9 clear view standing cover, aka Galaxy S9 S-View cover in some regions, is one of the official Samsung Galaxy S9 accessories for Galaxy S9 and S9+.
The Galaxy S9 clear view standing cover is available in almost all regions, and available for both Galaxy S9 and S9+. You need to make sure you get the correct one.
This Galaxy S9 accessories guide explains main features of Galaxy S9 clear view standing cover, pros and cons of Galaxy S9 clear view cover, how to use it, and how to customise it.
What is Samsung Galaxy S9 clear view standing cover (aka Galaxy S9 S View cover)?
Galaxy S9 clear view standing cover has been a successor for S View covers since Galaxy S8.
The whole front cover of the Galaxy S9 clear view standing cover is translucent. You can consider the whole front cover is a big S View window as in Galaxy S7 S View cover.
You can control some features of the Galaxy S9 and S9+ through this translucent front cover. You can pick up or reject phone calls without opening the cover. You can also control the music with the cover closed. Dissminig or snoozing an alarm is also available directly from the cover
The double-layer back part of the clear view cover offers decent protection for the phone and the camera modules as shown below.
You can fold the back cover (actually separate the two layers) of the Galaxy S9 clear view standing cover to make a stand for Galaxy S9 and S9+ in landscape orientation. There is only one viewing angle in the standing mode as shown below.
This viewing angle is good for watching videos or having a hands-free video call.
Galaxy S9 clear view standing cover is:
- an updated (with an enlarged S View window) S View cover for Galaxy S9 and S9+;
- an all-in-one cover with a back cover, a front cover and a stand for Galaxy S9 and ;
- a smart cover allowing you to control some functions and features of Galaxy S9 and S9+.
Due to the size difference of Galaxy S9 and S9+, the clear view standing cover for Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+ is NOT interchangeable.
If you have a Galaxy S9, you should get the Galaxy S9 clear view standing cover. If you have a Galaxy S9+, you should get Galaxy S9+ clear view standing cover.
Pros and cons of Galaxy S9 clear view standing cover (S-View cover)?
When choosing a case or cover for Galaxy S9 or S9+, you need to consider and balance a few factors:
- Your budget. Galaxy S9 clear view standing cover is not cheap and actually is in the high-price range. The list (MSRP) price is about $60 (US).
- The desired form of cover/case. Galaxy S9 clear view standing cover is an all-in-one cover. You cannot remove any parts of the cover.
- The weight. Galaxy S9 clear view cover is a bit heavy (60-70g)
- The style. There are four colour options: purple, black, blue and gold. They can almost identically match the colour of Galaxy S9 and S9+.
- Special features. S View features are the unique selling points of this cover. The kickstand is also useful.
- Fit for the phone. As one of the official Galaxy S9 and S9+ accessories, the cutout and openings of Galaxy S9 clear view standing cover perfectly fit the phone.
- Build quality. Galaxy S9 clear view standing cover is made up of high-quality plastics. Surface finishing is excellent.
- Protection. The Galaxy S9 S View cover offers mild-level of all-around protection: screen, camera, back, and bezel.
Based on our usage and experience, Galaxy S9 clear view standing cover excels in:
- Unique features. You can control some features and functions of the Galaxy S9 and S9+ without opening the cover.
- Full protection for Galaxy S9 and S9+.
- Perfect fit for Galaxy S9 and S9+ (both colour and cutouts).
- Kickstand (prop-up) in landscape orientation.
Of course, there are some disadvantages of Galaxy S9 clear view standing cover including:
- Heavy. The case is not light. It is about 60-70g, which is similar to Galaxy S9 LED wallet cover.
- A bit bulky. This is partially due to the double-layer back cover, which can be converted to a kickstand,
- Pricey. The street price should be a bit lower.
- Some S View window features were removed.
Hopefully, based on the pros and cons, you can decide whether Galaxy S9 clear view standing cover is the right case for your Galaxy S9 and S9+.
How to use Galaxy S9 clear view standing cover?
You can use S View window features in the Galaxy S9 clear view standing cover without opening the case.
As shown below, when you play music, you can control the playing on the cover directly. You can use touchscreen gestures on the clear view cover directly without opening it.
When someone calls you, you can answer the call by swiping to the left side or reject it by swiping (dragging) to the right side.
Similarly, you can snooze or dismiss an alarm on the clear view cover directly.
How to customize Galaxy S9 clear view standing cover?
Samsung also allows you slightly customize Galaxy S9 clear view standing cover in Galaxy S9 settings.
To customize Galaxy S9 clear view cover, you need to enter Galaxy S9 settings first.
In Galaxy S9 Settings page, tap Advanced features (marked as 1) as shown below.
In Advanced features page, tap Accessories (marked as 2) as shown above.
You can find the options for clear view cover (together with fast wireless charging if you ever put the phone on a fast wireless charging pad) on the accessories page as shown below.
The customization to Galaxy S9 clear view cover include:
- Automatica unlock (marked as 3). This option allows you to bypass the lock screen. If the lock screen security is none or swipe, then opening the cover will bring you to the Home screen. Otherwise, you will be directed to the unlock screen.
- Information and facewidgets (marked as 4). You can control the information to be shown when the cover is closed.
- Notifications (marked as 5). You can control whether you want to show notifications on the cover, whether you want to show the contents of the notifications. This setting is shared with lock screen settings.
Tap Information and facewidgets as shown below to customize the info shown in the clear view cover.
In the Information and facewidgets page, as shown above, you can:
- Enable/disable roaming clock ( marked as 6). You cannot disable the default lock. This option allows you to show two clocks when your phone is roaming.
- Customize facewidgets (marked as 7). You can customize the widgets for the clear view cover.
- Customize contact info (marked as 8) shown on the clear view cover (and lock screen) when the cover is closed.
Tap Facewidgets as shown above to customize the widgets on Galaxy S9 clear view standing cover. These facewidgets are shared with Galaxy S9 lock screen and AOD.
In Facewidgets page as shown below, you can enable/disable three widgets:
- Music controller (marked as 9).
- Today’s schedule (marked as 10).
- Next alarm (marked as 11).
Each of the widgets will occupy one screen (panel).
You can control where to show these widgets (marked as 12):
- Lock screen.
- AOD screen.
- Both lock screen and AOD screen (default).
You may find the clear view case is not included here because the clear view case will follow lock screen settings.
In other words, if widgets are enabled on Galaxy S9 lock screen, they will show on Galaxy S9 clear view standing cover when the cover is closed.
You can also customize the order of these facewidgets by tapping the Reorder button (marked as 13) as shown below.
The default lock screen, which you cannot disable, is shown above.
The contact info is shown below the time and date.
You can find notification icons below the contact info.
If you enabled roaming clock and when you are roaming, you will see two clocks,
You can swipe left or right to navigate to other facewidgets. You can also use the left/right arrow icon as shown above to navigate to other widgets.
Unlike Galaxy S9 home screen, there are no barriers in the leftmost or the rightmost panels. You can cycle through all widgets.
How to apply and remove the Galaxy S9 clear view standing cover?
Unlike the clear view cover for Galaxy S8, or Note 8, the top of Galaxy S9 clear view standing cover is fully covered except a small hole for the microphone (see Galaxy S9 and S9+layout). The SIM card tray is now covered by the cover.
So, the clear view case for Galaxy S9 and S9+ fits the phone very tightly.
When you apply the Galaxy S9 clear view to Galaxy S9 or S9+, you should fix the top part first. Then the bottom part.
When you want to remove the cover (to take out the phone), you should start from the bottom. Once the bottom part of Galaxy S9 or S9+ is taken out of the cover, you can easily take the phone out. If you start from the top, it is very hard to get the phone out of the cover.
How to use the always-on display (AOD) with Galaxy S9 clear view standing cover?
You can enable always-on display (AOD) for Galaxy S9 clear view standing cover.
But the AOD screen will revert to the default digital clock only. FaceWidgets, notification icons and all customization will not be activated after you close the cover.
Please read this guide for details of using Galaxy S9 always-on display (AOD) with or without the clear view cover.
How to use the always-on display (AOD) with Galaxy S9 clear view standing cover after Android Pie update?
If you updated Galaxy S19 to Android Pie, by default, the always-on display uses the new display mode: tap to show as explained in this guide. The AOD screen shows about 10 seconds after you tap the screen.
This display mode does not work with the clear view cover. You need to change the display mode to “Show always” to show AOD on the clear view cover.
You can change the display mode on Settings — Lock screen — Always on display — Display mode.
Also, you need to make sure “Don’t show when cover closed” is turned off on the same page.
Do you understand the pros and cons of Galaxy S9 clear view standing cover? Do you know how to use Samsung Galaxy S9 clear view standing cover (S-view cover)? Can you customize Galaxy S9 clear view cover?
If you have any questions or encounter any problems with Galaxy S9 clear view standing cover (Galaxy S9 S View cover) for Galaxy S9 and S9+, please let us know in the comment box below.
The community will help you find the answer.
For the user guide for new features of Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+, please check Galaxy S9 new features guides page.
For using Galaxy S9 and S9+, please check Galaxy S9 how-to guides page.
For using Galaxy S9 camera, please check Galaxy S9 camera guides page.
For accessories for Galaxy S9 and S9+, please check Galaxy S9 accessories guides page.