Introduction: Overheating is an issue that must be delt with seriously. Galaxy S23 employed the most advanced cooling system for smartphone to prevent overheating. This page explains what you should do when you encounter the overheating issue on Galaxy S23 under various scenarios.
- When Galaxy S23 heats up while charging the battery
- When Galaxy S23 heats up during use
- Precautions for Galaxy S23 overheating
- Precautions for operating environment
- Other Galaxy S23 Online User Manual pages
When Galaxy S23 heats up while charging the battery
While charging, the device and the charger may become hot. During wireless charging or fast charging, the device may feel hotter to the touch. This does not affect the device’s lifespan or performance and is in the device’s normal range of operation. If the battery becomes too hot, the charging speed may decrease or the charger may stop charging.
Please check this Galaxy S23 wireless charging guide for detailed info on how to use and choose wireless chargers.
Do the following when Galaxy S23 heats up:
- Disconnect the charger from the device and close any running apps. Wait for the device to cool down and then begin charging the device again.
- If the lower part of the device overheats, it could be because the connected USB cable is damaged. Replace the damaged USB cable with a new Samsung-approved one.
- When using a wireless charger, do not place foreign materials, such as metal objects, magnets, and magnetic stripe cards, between the device and the wireless charger.
The wireless charging or fast charging feature is only available on supported models.
When Galaxy S23 heats up during use
When you use features or apps that require more power or use them for extended periods, your device may temporarily heat up because of increased battery consumption. Close any running apps and do not use the device for a while.
Refer to the following examples of situations in which the device may overheat.
- During the initial setup after purchase or when restoring data
- When downloading large files
- When using apps that require more power or using apps for extended periods
- When playing high-quality games for extended periods
- When recording videos for extended periods
- When streaming videos while using the maximum brightness setting
- When connecting to a TV
- While multitasking (or, when running many apps in the background)
- When using Multi window
- When updating or installing apps while recording videos
- When downloading large files during a video call
- When recording videos while using a navigation app
- When using large amount of data for syncing with the cloud, email, or other accounts
- When using a navigation app in a car while the device is placed in direct sunlight
- When using the mobile hotspot and tethering feature
- When using the device in areas with weak signals or no reception
- When charging the battery with a damaged USB cable
- When the device’s multipurpose jack is damaged or exposed to foreign materials, such as liquid, dust, metal powder, and pencil lead
- When you are roaming
Do the following when Galaxy S23 heats up:
- Keep the device updated with the latest software.
- Conflicts between running apps may cause the device to heat up. Restart the device.
- Turn off the Wi-Fi, GPS, and Bluetooth features when not using them.
- Close apps that increase battery consumption or that run in the background when not in use.
- Delete unnecessary files or unused apps.
- Decrease the screen brightness.
- If the device overheats or feels hot for a prolonged period, do not use it for a while. If the device continues to overheat, contact a Samsung Service Centre or an authorised service centre.
Precautions for Galaxy S23 overheating
If you begin to feel uncomfortable because of the device overheating, stop using the phone.
When the device heats up, the features and performance may be limited or the device may turn off to cool down. The feature is only available on supported models.
- If the device overheats, the screen brightness, the screen refresh rate, and the performance speed will be limited to lower the device’s temperature. Even if the battery charging indicator icon appears, charging may be slow. When charging stops because of a rise in the device’s temperature, the battery indicator icon will blink.
- If the device reaches a certain temperature, a warning message will appear to prevent device failure, skin irritation and damage, and battery leakage. Running apps will be closed and all calling and other features will be limited, except for emergency calls, until the device cools down.
- If the second message appears because of a further increase of the device’s temperature, the device will turn off. Do not use the device until the device’s temperature drops below the specified level. If the second warning message appears during an emergency call, the call will not be disconnected by a forced termination.
Precautions for operating environment
Galaxy S23 may heat up because of the environment in the following conditions. Use caution to avoid shortening the battery’s lifespan, damaging the device, or causing a fire.
- Do not store your device in very cold or very hot temperatures.
- Do not expose your device to direct sunlight for extended periods.
- Do not use or store your device for extended periods in very hot areas, such as inside a car in the summertime.
- Do not place the device in any areas that may overheat, such as on an electric heating mat.
- Do not store your device near or in heaters, microwaves, hot cooking equipment, or high pressure containers.
- Do not use a cable whose covering is peeled off or damaged, and do not use any charger or battery that is damaged or malfunctioning.
Other Galaxy S23 Online User Manual pages
Pages also in this part:
List of all pages of Galaxy S23 Online User Manual:
You may check other Galaxy S23 guides organized in the following 4 sections.
- Galaxy S23 new features guides. Galaxy S23 new features guides explain the new features of Galaxy S23 and show you how to use them.
- Galaxy S23 how-to guides. Galaxy S23 how-to guides show you how to use and customize Galaxy S23, S23+, and S23 Ultra to meet your needs.
- Galaxy S23 camera guides. Galaxy S23 camera guides show you how to use Galaxy S23 camera features to shoot the best photos and videos with the top-notch camera system in Galaxy S23, S23+, and S23 Ultra.
- Galaxy S23 accessories guides. Galaxy S23 accessories guides explore useful Galaxy S23 accessories and show you how to use them to protect your phone or increase your productivity (or fun).
Besides, you can read and download (in PDF format) the official Galaxy S23 user manual.
In addition to the comment box below, you can also reach us through the following channels:
Do not forget to subscribe to our newsletter to get the latest Tips & Tricks on Galaxy S23.
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Enjoy your Galaxy S23!