You need to get a compatible and efficient wireless charger for your Galaxy S23, S22, S21, or S20 if you want to benefit from the wireless charging capabilities of these Galaxy phones.
This Galaxy S23 accessories guide first gives an overview of wireless charging technology for smartphones, then explains the wireless charging capabilities of Galaxy S23, S22, S21, and S20. Finally, three affordable wireless chargers are recommended based on the wireless charging needs of Galaxy S23, S22, S21, and S20.
The wireless chargers recommended are for Samsung Galaxy phones. If you are using smartphones of other brands, you may need to check the wireless charging specs of the phone first.
Table of Contents
- Overview of wireless charging and wireless chargers
- Wireless charging capabilities of Galaxy S23, S22,S21, and S20
- Three recommended wireless chargers for Galaxy S23 and other Galaxy phones
- FAQs on wireless charging on Galaxy S23, S22, S21, and S20
Overview of wireless charging and wireless chargers
Wireless charging, also known as inductive charging or cordless charging, is a method of transmitting electrical energy from a power source to a receiving device without using any physical connections. Unlike conventional charging, where you need to plug in a cable, wireless charging transfers energy through the air via electromagnetic fields.
How does wireless charging work?
Wireless charging relies on the principle of electromagnetic induction. It involves two essential components: a transmitter (wireless charger) and a receiver (the device to be charged). The wireless charger (charging pad) is connected to a power source, usually through a cable and a wall outlet. When you place Galaxy S23, S22, S21, S20, or other wireless charging-enabled devices on the pad, the charging process begins.
Inside the wireless charger (charging pad), an alternating current (AC) creates an oscillating magnetic field. This magnetic field induces a current in the receiver’s coil, which is located on the back of Galaxy S23 (as illustrated in the wireless charging coil in the Galaxy S23 layout) and other devices. The receiver coil then converts this alternating current back into direct current (DC), which is used to charge the Galaxy S23’s battery.
Advantages of wireless charging
Wireless charging has the following advantages:
- Convenience. No more fumbling with charging cables or worrying about the correct orientation when plugging in a device.
- Preserving the USB-C port. Repeated plugging and unplugging can wear down the USB-C port over time. Wireless charging eliminates this issue, potentially extending the lifespan of devices. With most smartphones only having one USB-C port, it can be challenging to juggle all the necessary accessories that compete for it in addition to the charging cable.
- Waterproofing and durability. Devices can be better designed to be waterproof and more durable as there are no openings required for charging ports.
Caveats of wireless charging
Despite its many advantages mentioned above, wireless charging technology still faces some challenges, and there are a few caveats when charging Galaxy S23 and other Galaxy phones with a wireless charger. For example:
- Efficiency. Wireless charging is generally less efficient than wired charging. Some energy is lost during the transmission process, which could impact overall energy consumption.
- Heat generation. Inductive charging can generate more heat compared to USB cable charging. This may shorten the lifespan of the battery. You may also enable Protect Battery to reduce the charging wear.
- Distance. In current implementations, the distance between the wireless charger (charging pad) and the device must be relatively close. This means some phone cases may be incompatible with wireless charging, and therefore you may need to remove the case/cover to charge it with a wireless charger. Please note all official Samsung Galaxy phone cases (e.g., Galaxy S23 Smart View Cover) are compatible with wireless charging.
- Alignment. Proper alignment is critical for efficient wireless charging.
- Standardization: There used to be multiple wireless charging standards for smartphones. However, industry efforts are being made to consolidate standards. Currently, almost all smartphones support the Qi wireless charging standard.
Wireless charging capabilities of Galaxy S23, S22,S21, and S20
Samsung formally offered wireless charging capability in the Galaxy product line since Galaxy S6.
Over the years, Samsung Galaxy phones have supported 3 types of wireless charging:
- Qi wireless standard charging (up to 5W). This is the Baseline Power Profile (BMP)for any Qi wireless charger.
- Fast wireless charging (up to 7.5W). Galaxy S7, S8, and S9 support this type of wireless charging. It is Samsung’s implementation of the Extended Power Profile (EPP)
- Fast wireless charging 2.0 (up to 15W, typically 10-12W). Since Galaxy S10, Samsung updated its wireless charging technology with wireless fast charging 2.0, which is actually Samsung’s version of Proprietary Power Delivery Extension (PPDE).
So, Galaxy S23, S22, S21, and S20 support all these 3 types of wireless charging, and therefore you can choose any wireless chargers that are compatible with the mentioned power (delivery) profiles.
Because only BMP is enforceable in the Qi standard, device vendors can choose to support their own implementations of EPP or PPDE. And Samsung actually did this.
This means if you want to benefit from fast wireless charging, you also need a wireless charger that also supports Samsung’s implementation. Unfortunately, very limited wireless charger vendors licensed Samsung’s implementation.
Three recommended wireless chargers for Galaxy S23 and other Galaxy phones
When choosing a wireless charger for Galaxy S23, S22, S21, and S20, you need to be aware of:
- Only Qi wireless standard charging (BMP, up to 5W) can be guaranteed for any Qi-certified wireless charger.
- Fast wireless charging and fast wireless charging 2.0 are Samsung’s proprietary implementations. So, third-party charges with EPP (up to 15W) support may still only provide up to 5W charging speed.
- Because of #2, it is recommended to choose a Samsung-branded wireless charger if you need faster wireless charging speed.
In this guide, we recommend 3 wireless chargers from Samsung, depending on how many devices you want to charge concurrently.
#1. Amazon Basics 15W Qi Certified Wireless Charging Pad
Like other Amazon Basics products, this 15W wireless charger offers all features you need at an affordable price.
Please note the wall adapter is NOT included. You should use it with an 18W or 25W USB-C power adapter.
You can use this wireless charger to charge not only Galaxy S23 or Samsung devices but also other phones (including iPhone) and devices.
For Galaxy S23, S22, S21, and S20, the charging speed can reach up to 7~10W. So, it is comparable with Samsung-branded wireless chargers.
- High-Speed Dynamic Charging: Optimized chipset provides 15W charging on LG phones, 10W charging on Samsung, and 7.5W charging on iPhones; use a 30W PD 3.0 charger for 15W charging on LG phones, Quick Charger 3.0 / PD 3.0 adapter (9V/2A) for 10W charging Samsung phones, 7.5W charging for iPhones, or a standard charger (5V/2A) for 5W charging
- Compatible with iPhone 14/13/12/11/X/XR/XS/8, iPhone Pro 14/13/12/11, iPhone Pro Max 14/13/12/11/XS, iPhone Plus 8, iPhone SE 1st Gen/2nd Gen/3rd Gen, iPhone mini 13/12, Airpods; Samsung Galaxy S23/S22/S21/S20/S10/S9/S8/S7/S6, Samsung Note 10/9/8, Z Fold/Z Fold2/Z Fold3/Z Fold4/Z Flip/Z Flip 5G/Z Flip3/Z Flip4, Samsung earbuds; LG G8/G7/V60/V50/V40/V35/V30; Google Pixel; Sony Xperia; OnePlus; and most Qi-enabled devices
- Sleep-Friendly LED Indicator: Quietly uses LED lights to display charge status, allowing undisturbed sleep with no notification sounds
- Case Friendly: Transmits power through most protective cases (rubber/plastic/TPU cases under 5mm thickness ONLY) Avoid charging with magnetic and metal cases or credit cards on; these cases will prevent operation
- Safe to Use: Qi-certified Intelligent Protection Technology including over-temperature, over-voltage, and over-current protection, foreign object detection and more
If you prefer a “stand” type wireless charger, there is a 10W version of this wireless charger at a similar price.
#2. Samsung 15W Wireless Charger Duo
If you need to charge your phone and earbuds (or smartwatch) simultaneously, you may consider this Samsung 15W Wireless Charger Duo.
The 25W USB-C power adapter and a USB-C cable are included.
You can also use this wireless charger to charge other phones (including iPhones) and devices.
- SUPER FAST WIRELESS CHARGING: Get the charge you need quickly, thanks to up to 15W of Fast Charging support; This boost of battery is compatible with USB PD and Adaptive Fast Charging travel adapters for an easy pick-me-up
- EASE OF USE and MULTI DEVICE CHARGING: Simultaneously power up your favorite pair of devices to enjoy together — whether that’s your phone and Galaxy Watch or your Galaxy Watch and earbuds
- DIRECT COOLING FAN: The Super Fast Wireless Charger Pad has a built-in cooling system with a fan and charges your phone fast
- DEVICE DESIGN: Simply place the Wireless Charger where you want it; With a slim, smooth and compact design, it fits even in your smaller spaces, so it’s easy to access when your phone or earbuds need a little extra juice
- LED INDICATOR: LED light tells you the charging status of your device with different colors: red for charging, flashing red for charging error, and green for fully charged; When it’s time for lights out, you can dim it to not disturb your sleep
#3. Samsung 15W Wireless Charger Trio
If you need to charge 3 devices simultaneously, Samsung offers this Samsung 15W Wireless Charger Trio.
A 25W USB-C wall charger and a USB-C cable are included.
When charging two phones, the charging speed only marginally slows down. The right side of the charging pad is specially formed for Galaxy Watch. You cannot charge 3 phones concurrently.
- MORE COILS MAKE IT EASIER TO ALIGN: Six coils inside the Wireless Charger Trio makes it simple for you to put your device down and charge it up. No more messing with alignment — just set it on the pad to get a boost of power.Compatible devices:Cellular Phones;Smartphones; smartwatches, headphones.Special Feature:Wireless Charging;Fast Charging.Input voltage: 9 volts
- THE RIGHT FIT FOR YOUR GALAXY WATCH: With the dedicated spot for Galaxy watch (1), you can keep your timepiece powered up to get you through your day. An interior magnet on the right side of the charger guides your watch into place to charge. And on the left you can charge your phone, Galaxy Buds series and more.
- POWER UP WITH A QUICKNESS: Get a fast battery boost with the Fast Charging capability. You and your friends with compatible devices can get back to 100 percent even faster by harnessing extra watts of power.
- SIMPLE DESIGN TO SUIT YOUR INTERIOR: The slender form features a minimalist design with simple icons and an LED light as accents. Available in black and white, you can select the one that best works with your room’s decor and leave it out when it’s not in use.
- THE GLOW THAT LETS YOU KNOW: The LED light intuitively tells you the charging status of your device with different colors: red for charging, flashing red for charging error, and green for fully charged. When it’s time for lights out, you can dim it to not disturb your beauty sleep.
FAQs on wireless charging on Galaxy S23, S22, S21, and S20
Q1: Will Galaxy S23 be overcharged if I leave it on the charging pad after it is fully charged?
A1: No, wireless charging will shut off automatically once the battery is fully charged (or reached 85% if you have enabled Protect Battery).
Charging will NOT resume even if the battery level reduces. The charging will only start after you remove and put the phone on the charging pad again.
So, it is safe to leave the phone on the charging pad overnight after it is fully charged.
Q2: Can I turn off fast wireless charging on Galaxy S23, S22, S21, or S20?
A2: Yes, you can turn off the Fast wireless charging from Settings — Battery and Device care — Battery — More battery settings — Fast wireless charging.
The detailed steps are explained here.
Do you have any questions about wireless charging and wireless charger for Galaxy S23, S22, S21, and S20?
Please let us know your questions on wireless charging in the comment box below.
The community will help you.
You may check other Galaxy S23 guides organized in the following 4 sections.
- Galaxy S23 new features guides. Galaxy S23 new features guides explain the new features of Galaxy S23 and show you how to use them.
- Galaxy S23 how-to guides. Galaxy S23 how-to guides show you how to use and customize Galaxy S23, S23+, and S23 Ultra to meet your needs.
- Galaxy S23 camera guides. Galaxy S23 camera guides show you how to use Galaxy S23 camera features to shoot the best photos and videos with the top-notch camera system in Galaxy S23, S23+, and S23 Ultra.
- Galaxy S23 accessories guides. Galaxy S23 accessories guides explore useful Galaxy S23 accessories and show you how to use them to protect your phone or increase your productivity (or fun).
Besides, you can read and download (in PDF format) the official Galaxy S23 user manual.
In addition to the comment box below, you can also reach us through the following channels:
Do not forget to subscribe to our newsletter to get the latest Tips & Tricks on Galaxy S23.
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Enjoy your Galaxy S23!