This Galaxy S20 guide explains what Galaxy S20 recovery mode is, when you need to use it, how to reboot into the recovery mode, and how to navigate and exit the recovery mode.
The Galaxy S20 recovery mode is identical on all 4 Galaxy S20 modes: Galaxy S20, S20+, S20 FE, and S20 Ultra. So this guide applies to all these phones.
What is Galaxy S20 recovery mode?
All Android phones and tablets come with a recovery mode. Galaxy S20 is not an exception. Android vendors may add or remove some features in the recovery mode.
On Galaxy S20, you can use the recovery mode to (as shown in the picture below):
- Wipe cache partition. This would wipe the cache partition to refresh apps without affecting your data on Galaxy S20.
- Reset (factory data reset) Galaxy S20. Some geeks may refer this to “wipe” the phone. You can erase all your data and return the phone to factory state. But it does not rollback the Android version or any updates.
- Update Galaxy S20 from ADB. If you want to sideload the update from your PC, you can do it using ADB. For example, you may manually update Galaxy S20 to Android 11 if you want
- Update Galaxy S20 from the micro SD card. You can also apply updates saved in the micro SD card.
- Reboot into bootloader (download mode). It allows you to enter download mode. For example, you want to install third-party recovery.
- Mount /system partition. It is supposed to let you edit and correct some errors in the system partition without rooting. But it seems it is not working.
- Run graphics test. It simply shows how the graphics (UI) like when the phone in different states, e.g., erasing, updating, optimizing apps. It has nothing to do with GPU or display.
- View recovery logs.
- Run locale test. Check the locale on the phone.
- Repair apps. This allows you to manually optimise apps (rebuild app cache and data cache).
- Power off Galaxy S20.
We will explain some of them later on.
When do you need to use Galaxy S20 recovery mode?
Galaxy S20 recovery mode is NOT designed for normal users. Most Galaxy S20 owners … Read the rest