This Galaxy S20 guide explains the meaning and usage of all items in Galaxy S20 lock screen settings including screen lock type, smart lock, secure lock, always-on display, wallpaper services, clock style, roaming clock, faceWidgets, contact info, notifications, and app shortcuts.
These settings are identical on all three models of Galaxy S20 (S20, S20+, and S20 Ultra), although Galaxy S20 is used in the text.
How to access Galaxy S20 lock screen settings
You can access Galaxy S20 lock screen settings from Galaxy S20 Settings — Lock screen.
There are a couple of different ways to access Galaxy S20 Settings including:
- Use the Settings app icon on Galaxy S20 Home screen or Apps screen.
- Use the Settings (gear) icon in the notification panel.
- Use the Settings (gear icon) in the Galaxy S20 quick settings panel.
- Use voice commands (Google or Bixby).
Galaxy S20 lock screen settings explained
As shown in the screenshot below, you can customize the settings for Galaxy S20 lock screen.
Here is the explanation of each item of Galaxy S20 locks screen setting. Each item matches the number in the following two screenshots.
I. Screen lock type
By default, when you set up the new Galaxy S20, you need to choose lock screen security type as one of the following:
- Swipe. There is no security. Anyone can swipe to unlock Galaxy S20. If you skip it during the initial setup, this method will be used. It is NOT recommended.
- None. This option actually turns off Galaxy S20 lock screen. So, it is NOT recommended.
Normally, the PIN is recommended. It offers moderate security for the phone.
If you set the lock screen type as pattern, PIN, or password, then you can use secondary biometrics to unlock Galaxy S20:
- Face. Face recognition is usually fast. But it requires good light conditions.
- Fingerprints. The in-display fingerprint sensor on Galaxy S20 (S10 and Note 10 as well) is inferior to the traditional capacitive fingerprint reader. It is the worst feature of Galaxy S20.
Galaxy S20 will asks you to use PIN/Password periodically to unlock Galaxy S20 if you do not use them for a specific period, or you have not used the phone for about one day.… Read the rest