Samsung significantly changed the Camera app in One UI with Android Pie. So, even for seasoned Samsung Galaxy phone users, there are some new features of the Galaxy S10 Camera app, and of course, there are many removed features.
This Galaxy S10 camera guide explains the new features of the Galaxy S10 Camera app, the components of the camera app interface (UI), and how to use gestures in Galaxy S10 camera app.
Please note, in Android 10 update for Galaxy S10, S10+, and S10e, the Camera app was updated as well. You may check this guide for a few new features in the camera app.
New features of Galaxy S10 Camera app?
- There is no dedicated video recording button. Video recording is a camera mode. So, you cannot use the Pro mode to record videos anymore.
- The shutter button does not have the zoom function. You cannot drag the shutter button to zoom. You can use the pinch/spread gesture or rear camera selection buttons to zoom in/out.
- Camera modes are located on the bottom (above the shutter button) in the portrait orientation, and the orientation does not change when you hold the phone in landscape orientation.
- AR Emoji is not listed as a camera mode. It has a dedicated button in Galaxy S10 camera app interface.
- The Bixby Vision and AR Emoji buttons are located on the top of the screen.
- Galaxy S10 Camera setting button is located on the top (below the Bixby vision and AR Emoji).
- The Auto camera mode is renamed as Photo mode.
- New scene optimizer button was added on the preview window.
- For supported camera modes, you can now change the aspect ratio of the photo (and photo size) without navigating to Galaxy S10 camera settings.
- You cannot adjust the resolution of the photo directly. You can only adjust the aspect ratio of the photo. Each aspect ratio has a fixed resolution. You may refer to this guide on how to set photo size on Galaxy S10.
- New Galaxy S10 camera night mode.
Please note, only the official Samsung Camera app can fully utilize the advanced features of Galaxy S10 camera sensors. Third-party camera apps can use the basic features of the sensors.
Components of the Galaxy S10 camera app
Once you launch the camera, by default, you can find the following 14 items in the camera app interface as shown in the screenshot below.
- Bixby Vision.
- AR Emoji.
- Galaxy S10 camera settings button.
- Photo aspect ratio/size settings.
- Galaxy S10 camera effects (filters).
- Camera lens selection.
- Scene optimizer.
- Galaxy S10 camera models.
- Shortcut to Gallery app.
- Shutter button.
- Front/rear cameras switch.
- Preview screen.